Everyone Knows What The Best Blog Article Length Is – Right?!
There is a right answer to “what is the best blog article length”. Just like there’s a right answer to “do these jeans make my bum look big?” But it’s subjective…and tricky to say for sure.
So yes there is an ideal blog article length, however, it simply depends on what you want your blog to do for you and your audience.
How To Write The Best Blog Article Length (For Your Audience)
Firstly, you need to know your target audience, not only will this help you write the ideal length it’ll help you plan your blog content needs for the long term. Because perfect post lengths won’t help much if you’re not providing fresh and frequent content.
Then, you need to know what you want to get from your blogging efforts.
- Want more comments? Engage your readers with short blogs (less than 300 words) that are quick hits of information you provide to get your readers’ wheels turning so they’ll comment and discuss amongst themselves. This helps spread your message and provides insight on how your audience thinks.
- Looking for Social Shares? Mid-size blogs (from 300 to 1500 words) have been shown to be the best blog lengths to get social shares. Write helpful content that’s so compelling your reader needs to share because it makes them feel good (or smart or funny) when they pass it on.
- Need Google to notice you? To get found online you’ll want Google to see you for who you really are. This means writing longer, more in depth blogs that prove you are who you say you are. It could be because of your vast knowledge of your business or your ability to solve your clients’ problems.
What could happen if you don’t write the best blog article length?
Like any form of content it’s best not to rely on any one content style for success, even blog article length.
- Short blogs are terrible for Search Engine Optimization because there’s not enough content to satisfy the algorithms that decide your online fate. Up your word count a bit if you want to move up the Google rankings.
- Medium length blogs are probably the safest for SEO and holding readers’ interest (Goldilocks has all the answers). And, you can write 700 words fairly quickly and regularly, especially if you have a content plan.
- Long reads might turn off some readers, but there are people who still like to delve into an informative and entertaining piece on a subject they’re interested in. If they’re interested in what you have to say they’ll stick around.
Still having trouble wrapping your head around the ideal blog length? Tangible Words can help you determine your audience needs and how to create the right content for them.