“Content marketing” is a type of Web 2.0 advertising (Web 2.0: now anyone can easily publish content online). But why do you need content marketing?
Why every small to medium company needs content marketing:
Everyone is buying stuff online – even if we aren’t actually using e-commerce; we are researching products and brand names like crazy. This means that the most information wins:
- Whoever communicates “the best” is more likely to persuade us because we are analytical, trained shoppers. We have objections and your content marketing is your opportunity to make us feel better.
- Whoever communicates “the most” is more likely to be stumbled upon more times. The more you connect with your audience (in meaningful ways) the easier it is for prospects to trust you–even if they are learning to trust you from a website. And you already know, there is no sale without trust.
- Whoever communicates by following “SEO” principles will be found more readily and quickly by hungry prospects. Internet readers are impatient. Being found quickly is essential to the sales process–and not to “rush” the sale, but to build rapport and to become known.
- When two companies are parallel in ability, leadership and the thinking behind the company become essential to helping readers make an educated purchasing decision. Well-planned content marketing has the potential to communicate the intelligence and leadership of your company.
- Communicate to become a trusted advisor. Journalists are searching online too: when they see your publications they may pick you up in their “content feed” or think to interview you for comment on industry issues. For instance, Canada has two national newspapers: The Globe And Mail and The National Post. Recently, Tangible Words appeared in the National Post based on part of our content marketing plan.
In Summary there are 3 Principles of Content Marketing:
1. Publish great content to build trust and establish credibility.
2. Publish frequent content to communicate with authenticity and to stay ‘in the game’.
3. Publish SEO-friendly content so people can find you more easily, more quickly, more often.